Tuesday, April 20, 2010

How to make money in business during a crappy economy


Photo by Wade Allsopp

Here is the short answer about how to make money in business: Do the things that other business people are not willing to do.

This morning I spoke with a client who wanted to put a video on his website. Mark paints houses for a living. Sometimes he does drywall installation.

Mark's voice sounded a little desperate. He told me he would not have time to talk to me in "normal" times. But he said he has plenty of time right now even though it is what used to be prime time for his business. "They just aren't calling like they used to," he said.

We shared ideas about how he can create new sales. Mark read from a list he made last week. They included door-to-door bell ringing and calling up old customers among others.

These tactics are also referred to as guerrilla marketing. Guerrilla marketing is "guerrilla marketing campaigns are unexpected and unconventional; potentially interactive." In other words, they are employed when the tried and true methods are failing.


From Wikipedia: "Guerrilla marketing involves unusual approaches such as intercept encounters in public places, street giveaways of products, PR stunts, any unconventional marketing intended to get maximum results from minimal resources. More innovative approaches to Guerrilla marketing now utilize cutting edge mobile digital technologies to really engage the consumer and create a memorable brand experience."

I try to tell people what I think would be the best course of action even if I don't immediately make money for me. I've come full circle and honestly believe that the more you give the more you get.

"Mark, " I said, "I think the best thing for you to do right now is to call all of your customers starting from the earliest."

Mark paused and said, "But what about my Google Local listing?" Yes, that was my initial reason for the phone call. "You asked me what I thought was your best course of action so I gave you my opinion," I said.

"I think getting a better position in Google will help a lot in the future," I said. "But just think, you could have been earning money calling on old customers instead of talking to me for the last hour!"

I told him that successful people take actions that unsuccessful people won't do.

Calling people on the phone is an activity that is particularly dreadful to many business people.

But my experience tells me that I made money when I called people on the phone or made "cold call" visits at their places of business.

What do you think? Do you have any Guerrilla Marketing methods. Please share!

Greg Cryns
The Mighty Mo Website Design and Promotion

.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment