Monday, February 15, 2010

Social network sites are NOT taking over search


People who espouse social networking are often fanatics (not in a bad sense).

They are married to the idea that social networking is now the be-all and end-all of the Internet.

I disagree.

Though social networks are now major players, consider the idea that most people do not visit social network regularly. If you are a member of Facebook (the largest network), for example, how often do you go there daily?

I read an article that would have you believe social networks are replacing Google as a search tool. Give me a break! The demographics of these networks still heavily favors people under 30 years old. Yes, I know that the fastest growing group is women over 40, but "fastest growing" does not mean "largest" by any sense of the word.

There are growing numbers of business people who see the social networks as big time suckers, a waste of time. I don't think that is true but I use the social networks as tools to find great information. They are, actually, real time search engines.

What do you think?

Greg Cryns
Nursing Programs Online
Work At Home Profiles
.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment