Thursday, November 19, 2009

Example of guerrilla job hunting

I need to tell this story. It flies in the face what is considered social correctness and it is a good example of Guerrilla Marketing for job hunters. If you are looking for a job, I don't have to tell you that the recession is still raging and getting worse every day. Should you rethink the old ways?

My son's friend is a 26 year old guy who wants a job in Hollywood. He flew into LA this week dead set on getting a job in his field that has something to do with film. He and my son visited with us last week. I heard his story. He gave himself a month and a half to find a great job. I recommended that he put aside the idea of sending his resume to hundreds of places.

I recommeded that he take a few resumes and make a list of companies he wants to work for and simply walk into the offices of the big shots to introduce himself. My wife was aghast at my recommendation. My son was startled. My younger son who was at the table said that my idea was ridicuous.

Six days later. My son's friend took my advice. He was quickly booted out of the first call.

The second call was more interesting. He did meet the bigwig who said "You know, you are are very rude to walk in on me like this! You have balls, son!" Before he left that office my son's friend had a new job.

Greg Cryns
Website Design and Small Business promotion

.
.

2 comments:

  1. Absolutley LOVE it! thanks fo rhat bit of inspiration. I'd love to interview him for our "Heroes" section of the Guerrilla Job Hunting Blog Grag And you too. Drop me aline with yoiur contact information pleae to... dperry@perrymartel.com
    David Perry
    co-author ""Guerrilla Marketing for Job Hutners 2.0

    ReplyDelete
  2. David,

    I'll see if I can get hold of Rob. Might take a while since he is not my friend, but my son's friend. Now I need to find a job for my son. LOL

    ReplyDelete