Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Internet marketing and fitness issues

Recently I decided that I need to stay fit to stay happy.

My nine years of sitting on my butt looking at the monitor did not help my weight or my general fitness. It also ate into my supply of self esteem and well being.

About six months ago I started to walk every morning. Initially I walked a mere four blocks. Then , after about two weeks, I extended that to one mile. Confession: I like to measure my walks by driving my car. So, if I drive a half a mile in one direction then I know the total round trip will be one mile from that spot.

For a couple of months I walked a mile a day with my trusty dog, Brujita. I think she has some sled dog in her as she likes to pull me along. That is a walker's joke: are you walking your dog or is your dog walking you?

Then I escalated to one an a half miles. At that stage, I decided I was serious enough to invest in a good pair of Nike's and I did so. $40 on sale at JC Penny. Let me say, those shoes are simply wonderful. I felt an immediate difference in my walking speed and comfort.

About three weeks ago I paid a visit to Kennedy Fitness down the road from our house. I realized that I needed more than mere walking to make me physically fit again after so many years of inactivity. So I paid the $525 annual fee (I felt taking the monthly route was inviting disaster as it is way too easy to quit).

They offer 3 free training sessions that mainly get you familiar with how to use the weights for YOU. I learned that a lifting SET is made up of a number of REPs. As a swimmer in school we did not pay much attention to weight lifting (also known as resistance training - your muscles meet resistance, not necessarily your spirit).

I am up to 1/2 mile of swimming daily. Woohoo!

To make a long story short I have accomplished in 5 months my main goal: to feel better and think more clearly.

I know I have a long way to go. Think about it. If it took you 10 years to get into your present condition, it will take a lot of time and effort to get back in shape. I am not talking about growing huge biceps or even a six pack of abs. I just want to get down to a fighting weight, strengthen the cardio and enjoy life even more.

I recommend you consider doing something similar if you feel the need.

Greg Cryns
"been down so long it looks like up to me"

Photo credit: ghall

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Paying out that fee makes you want to be there every day! :]

    Way to on the 1/2 mile swim. I can't imagine. That's really cool!

    BTW, you should try one of my daily 5 minute exercise challenges on twitter. muuhahahhaaaa.... They're torture tests but a heck of a lot of fun. :] I bet you'd beat me pretty bad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may take you up on that torture test though I am known to shun pain. LOL

    Thanks for your comment, Yobeeone!

    ReplyDelete