Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Is Web 2.0 worth the effort?


A friend sent me an email yesterday. He is a professional photographer who has managed to establish a decent web presence through both SEO and social networking.

He knows the value of MerchantCircle.com and Yelp.com. He posts at Twitter and Facebook regularly. He's pointed out a few more places to me that I'd never heard of before.

However, he does not like social networking because "I am just not that social!" he says.

Is social networking more hype than actuality? For all the time you spend Twittering, Facebooking and MySpacing, is it really worth the effort?

Or are the few who are making headway and money and fame using Web 2.0 tactics, are they just exceptions to the rule? There are always exceptions.

I have my doubts. It's not that I don't like shooting off links to places that are interesting and fun. I do. Give me a good Top 10 list about blogging or SEO or viral marketing and I'm with ya all the way. I'll pass it along to my friends, at least the ones who are still listening to me after sending so much stuff through email and Twitter.

Obviously I have not had immense success being social either.

I did advise my friend to try Google Adwords. At least he doesn't have to socialize that way.

And maybe Adwords is more profitable when you add the time-spent factor.

I can't wait for Web 4.0. That will certainly provide Nirvana for me. ;)

Opinions?

No comments:

Post a Comment